Sunday, July 1, 2012

That's Just My Face

I love my Mom. Like really REALLY love her....perhaps more than anyone in this whole world. Above all, you have to know this one fact to understand how our relationship works.


My mom and I argue a lot. I could get into the details, but really, we fight mostly about nothing. We can never really just agree to disagree, and my mother definitely does not like to give advice that isn't taken.  Subsequently, she is probably as constantly frustrated by me as I am with her.


One day, I oh-so-foolishly tried to explain one of the reasons why I find it so difficult to have a conversation with anyone who looks at me the way she does. Her eyes convey a mixture of anger and disappointment, and she listens with pursed lips, like she's preparing a rebuttal no one could ever be prepared for.  This look makes me regret saying anything just as soon as I've said it. I've pretty much only seen her scowl at me and a select few people. This leads me to feel like she saves it just for me. 


And of course, telling her this only makes her give me a more intensified version of this look as she says "That's just my face. I look like this to everyone. You're just too sensitive."

Oh, how I wish I had a picture of this face, so you could see it.  Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to take one...

No comments:

Post a Comment