Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Dying

I have this cousin named Kevin. Actually, it's Kyle, but we call him Kevin.
Kevin's a great kid. And about a year and a half ago, Kevin was diagnosed with Leukemia.  We were shocked and saddened, but we all rallied around him knowing that he would beat it.
We weren't wrong; earlier this year, he went into remission.
By the time we were headed for Manila, we received an e-mail from Kevin's mom. Unfortunately, the bad cells were back, and it looked like a bone marrow transplant would soon be necessary. Kevin's mother and sister were not matches.  She was asking if we would be willing to set of a donor drive?
I sat in the airport, trying not to cry. I looked over at my mom and she scowled, saying, "Your aunt is so dramatic. She acts like he's dying."
Um...he just had cancer. And he has cancer again. I think that counts. Nonetheless, I'm trying to stay positive.
So I say, "Um... I'm going to be honest with you.  I don't think he's going to die. He is pretty sick, but he's young, and I think he can beat it again. However, I can see why his mom would be pretty worried."
If you've ever felt like you knew a train wreck was about to happen, this was my moment.
My mom replied angrily, "I knew it! I KNEW you would take her side!"

In my head I'm thinking: sides?!? There are sides? And if so, whose side is she taking? Cancer?

She continued, "Every time I mention her, you get so defensive of her!"

"Well she's not here to defend herself. I think we should stop talking about her. It makes you angry," I said.

"I AM NOT ANGRY!" She glared in my direction.

I looked around and was grateful that most of the other people in the airport didn't understand English or didn't seem to invest too much interest into our conversation.  It was only a few hours, but it seemed like such a long flight.

Bottom line: My cousin has leukemia. He needs a bone marrow transplant. So many other people do too. If you are on the registry, thank you! If you aren't on the registry yet, please consider signing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment