Sunday, January 12, 2014

Old Enough

Today old friend found me on Facebook. Someone I haven't seen in 20 years. She's technically my adopted cousin. My aunt isn't the greatest at forgiveness, and at some point shunned her from the family for eloping.  I had always wondered what became of her, still hoping for the best, because of our fond memories during my childhood.
Today over lunch, I told my mom that she had found me after all these years.
And my mom, started a story with the words, "You were too young to know back then, but I'll tell you now..."

And then she answered the phone and talked for about 20 minutes about how I had the stomach flu last week.

When she got off the phone, she started talking about homeopathic medicine.

"MOM, FINISH THE STORY. The suspense is killing me."

She proceeds to tell me that this friend uses everyone she knows. She abuses relationships to her advantage.

All I can remember is that this girl treated me like I was a princess every time I came to visit.  Despite the person she may have become, this is how I have chosen to remember her.  We all have our flaws, and we all make mistakes too.  At some point in our lives, we all lend money to people who will never repay us.

She says I trust too easily. That's probably true. It's not something I hate about myself enough to want to change though.

No comments:

Post a Comment