Saturday, July 26, 2014

Catherine

Catherine is a beautiful grey 2003 Honda Accord that my parents gave me as an early graduation present.  She was the first new car that was mine.  All mine. Or so I thought, until January of this year.

 "You know your cousin needs a car," she says.

"I heard."  I know this game.  She hints at something, and then expects me to just fill in the blanks, so that she never has to say things that are difficult.  I don't like this game, so I'm going to make her actually say it.

"She's looking at new cars.  Her insurance is going to be really expensive."

"Yeah."

"You should sell your car to her. Then you could get a new car." she says, as if she's referring to a watch or a cell phone. NOT a car.

I try to explain to her that I hadn't really budgeted for a car, and with my contract ending in June, I only had 6 more guaranteed paychecks left.

"Just offer. She might not want it."

A week later she gave the car to my cousin.

No comments:

Post a Comment